Saturday, March 10, 2012

Top 10 Flows

I was going to post a "Part 2" to the whole Kony 2012 phenomenon, but I'm sick of thinking and talking about it. Therefore, I am offering a more nostalgic and entertaining post.

While lounging around the other day, I caught a documentary on Fuse about the Death Row record label in its hay day. Though it was depressing to see how twisted the West coast label became, the documentary got me thinking about my favorite rap tracks. A quick note, my criteria are 1) the song must have a killer opening flow, 2) it must be a popular rap song, one that most people would know (no underground stuff--it's too hard to rank underground) and 3) the words must be the focus, not necessarily the beat. I submit to you, therefore, the top 10 flows in rap during the 90's and 2000's:

10) C.R.E.A.M. (Wu-Tang Clan)
9) B.O.B. (Outkast)
8) So Watcha' Want? (Beastie Boys)
7) It Was a Good Day (Ice Cube)
6) Jesus Walks (Kanye West)
5) 99 Problems (Jay-Z)
4) Keep Ya' Head Up (Tupac)
3) Big Poppa (Notorious BIG)
2) Lose Yourself (Eminem)
1) Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang (Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg)

Honorable Mentions: Elevators (Outkast), Gold Digger (Kanye West), It's A Hard-Knock Life (Jay-Z), Dear Mama (Tupac), Stan (Eminem)

No comments: